Movies / TV shows

Home Forums Talk Of The Town Movies / TV shows

This topic contains 1,027 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Pim 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 1,028 total)
  • Author

Pim
    Keymaster

Went to The Grey this evening. LOVED it. It has a pretty high score on IMDB while it also has a lot of bad reviews and I can see where they’re coming from, but I didn’t feel like that at all while watching the movie. The story in short: Bunch of guys survive a plane crash and run into trouble with a pack of wolves.

#6051 Quote
    Profile photo of Just Killing Time
    Just Killing Time
    Participant

I just finished season 2 of How I Met Your Mother (i watch that on my iPad in the train while communting). I have seen many episodes on tv, but now that i’m watching the full seasons i see how well written (little throwaway asides turn out to be mayor plotpoints in later episodes constantly) and sidesplittingly funny it is. In my opinion one of the funniest and somewhat underappreciated sitcoms ever. Plus I’m secretly in love with alyson hannigan. And Barney is boss of course.

Quote:
    When i feel sad, i just stop feeling sad and feel AWESOME instead. True story.

#6055 Quote

Pim
    Keymaster

Never watched that, but heard good things about it.

I did check out Evidence the other day, but I don’t know what to think about it yet (have to admit I was also busy doing something else). Will give it another shot.

Just read there was a final scene after the credits for The Grey. Need to see that.

#6061 Quote
    Profile photo of Onno
    Onno
    Participant

How I Met Your Mother is in the 7th season now and I still like it a lot. Barney is def boss!

#6172 Quote
    Just Killing Time
    Participant

I just started watching Todd and The Book of Pure Evil, a Canadian horror-comedy tv show about teenage stoner metalhead Todd protecting Crowly High School from the powers of the (you guessed it) Book of Pure Evil. Kind of plays out like mix of equel parts Evil Dead, Buffy, Bill & Ted and that Weird Science tv-show from the 90’s. It’s a silly show, but i dig it a lot. I don’t know if this is standard, but my version has all the harsh languauge replaced (so when somebody says ass, they actually say hatch, for example). Combined with the bloody mayhem on screan, this actually makes it extra funny. And Jason Mewes is in it as a janitor! AND it has hot chicks! AND metal! What more could you want? There are 26 episodes (2 seasons) so far, so I think I’m set for a while.

YUM!:

#6177 Quote

Pim
    Keymaster

Haha sounds terrible.

So I’ll check it out :)

#6180 Quote
    Profile photo of Heartcore
    Heartcore
    Participant

Just one ep. to watch of The Walking Dead….fortunately I’ve got loads more series on my HD.

#6181 Quote

Pim
    Keymaster

Probably my favorite series of the moment. I really don’t care for zombies, but The Walking Dead keeps me interested. Can’t wait for the new episodes.

#6187 Quote
    Profile photo of Nab
    Nab
    Participant

Quote:
    And Jason Mewes is in it as a janitor!

Just Killing Time: you got me here, downloading as we speak!

#6189 Quote

Pim
    Keymaster

Did you guys check Kevin Smith Burn In Hell by the way? Always love his Q&A sessions and this is no exception.

#6198 Quote
    Profile photo of Onno
    Onno
    Participant

Will def check Todd and The Book of Pure Evil, looks great.

#6227 Quote
    Just Killing Time
    Participant

I just watched ep6 and 7 of Todd this morning and both totally cracked me up. 7 has some pretty awesome girl on girl snogging as well. :-P
    This show def. gets better as the season moves along.

#6250 Quote

Dennis
    Keymaster

Killer elite. I needed to pick up a movie really quick (I’m a really old-fashioned guy not downloading movies, but actually renting them… boy, oh boy, I guess I’m part of an endangered species! Is this what those Maya’s where predicting? Are we, the movie-renting people going extint by the end of this year? ;-) ). I saw a new movie with Jason Statham, Clive Owen and Robert de Niro. Can’t go wrong, huh? Well, I did enjoy it, but it’s not that good actually… The movie could’ve been 45 minutes shorter by getting rid of a lot of the story. Overall that didn’t add that much. And it was based on a true story. Yeah… right. Broadcast it on a wednesday night… (all Dutchies will know what this means) Anyways: nice, but next time: more action, less talking.

#6287 Quote
    Just Killing Time
    Participant

I finished Todd & The Book of Pure Evil S1 and I can now honestly say it’s all kinds of awesome. The first 4 episodes are a bit shaky, but the rest of the season is epic right until the “shocking cliffhanger” haha. The Glee/Phantom of the Opera spoof episode had me in stitches. Highly, highly recommended, siked for season 2!

#6329 Quote
    Profile photo of Heartcore
    Heartcore
    Participant

Saw last ep. of season 2 of The Walking Dead. Pretty cool, but too short….

#6330 Quote

Pim
    Keymaster

Can’t wait for the new episodes!

Tonight I’m going to check out The Hunger Games. No idea if it’s going to be good or not. We’ll see.

#6331 Quote
    Profile photo of Onno
    Onno
    Participant

saw The Sitter, don’t bother with that one ;-)

#6332 Quote

Pim
    Keymaster

That one might not be great, or ‘recommended’ but I did enjoy it nonetheless.

#6333 Quote
    Profile photo of Nab
    Nab
    Participant

Quote:
    Did you guys check Kevin Smith Burn In Hell by the way? Always love his Q&A sessions and this is no exception.

I haven’t even heard of it. But everything Kevin Smith has done since Clerks 2 is a disapointment. His new show “comic book guys” or something is terrible. I couldn’t watch an entire episode.

Hunger Games was pretty good! I expected a pile of shit, I’ve been pleasantly surprised, it even made me want to read the books.

#6338 Quote

Pim
    Keymaster

Moviewise I’m not even the biggest Kevin Smith fan, but I wouldn’t call them dissapointments (although I know everyone else does haha) either. But I absolutely LOVE his Q&A’s. Dude can tell a story.

As for Comic Book Men. I can totally understand people not like it. But then again it’s not really ‘his’ show. He’s a small part of it. I really like it though. Comic book only version of Pawnstars :)

#6340 Quote
    Profile photo of XemonerdX
    XemonerdX
    Participant

The remake of ‘Edge Of Darkness’ was on TV 2 nights ago. I watched the original British mini-series from the 80s on DVD a few months ago, so I thought it would be interesting to see what Hollywood did with it. The basic premise is that a cop’s daughter get killed in front of his eyes, he assumes he was the original target, but he quickly finds out his daughter was involved in trying to expose the dirty plans of a big corporation involved with nuclear power.
    The mini-series was good, nothing great tho, but some parts were iffy and did not make sense other than to stitch together some plotholes (the daughter appears to the father every now and again to sorta explain things or give clues). But all in all, a nice watch with a lot of tension in the way the story progresses and unfolds, and it fits in perfectly with the 80s and the concerns people had at the time regarding nuclear power. According to the wikipedia page, the original ending (which was never made, thankfully) involved the main character turning into a tree… Hmmm :)
    Hollywood comes along (buth with the original director), changes the plans of the corporation a bit and the way the government is involved (different era, different motives, it makes complete sense in this case), and brings in a lot of fast-paced and in-your-face action (surprise, surprise). A nice touch is that the Hollywood version is set in the US with one vital character being British, whereas in the original it is the other way round. They also removed some of the iffier parts of the original which is a good thing, but unfortunately this version also lacks almost all of the tension that the original one had. An entertaining watch but forgettable and nothing you’d want to watch again.
    I don’t think either version was all that amazing, but if I had to choose, I would definitely go with the 80s version, if you can deal with the much slower pace and less action-driven plot that is. And the original Darius Jedburgh (Joe Don Baker) is a much more interesting character than the stereotypical newer version (no matter how ‘cool’ Ray Winstone is), and without giving anything anyway, his original demise is way cooler as well.

#6341 Quote
    Profile photo of Nab
    Nab
    Participant

@ Pim: You’re right, I think his Q&A is the best thing he has ever done, and I consider CLERKS as being my all time favorite movie. Seriously, the “An evening with Kevin Smith” series is brilliant! What I hated in Comic Book Men is that they’re the biggest geeks, but they’re so arrogant and think they’re better than everyone else. They totally have a jock attitude, they could be working in an Abercombie Store I wouldn’t see the difference.

#6342 Quote

Pim
    Keymaster

That’s what I’m talking about :) As for Comic Book Men: I thought they were pretty down to earth actually, making fun the whole time. I should re-watch it to see if they come accross that arrogant, but that totally went over my head when I saw the first 6 episodes.

#6344 Quote

Dennis
    Keymaster

Based on the title I didn’t recognise Edge of darkness. The plot rang a bell. It’s as you say: nice to watch, but not really that memorable.

#6371 Quote

Pim
    Keymaster

The Hunger Games: I’m with Nab. I might want to check out the books now, but that has A LOT to do with the ending and the fact that there’s so much left to tell. When’s the sequel coming?

Spoiler
    Some questions:

– Why did they made such a big point about the sponsors? You only get to see those rewards twice and I would have liked to see how that exactly went when a sponsor decides to award a player.
    – What’s the deal with Katniss / Gale / Peeta? Were they acting or not? Could go either way.
    – Forgot his name, but will that ‘old grey leader dude’ let it go, aside from his action with the game maker?
    – They show the riots in the district, but afterwards you don’t see a thing about that anymore?
    – Why didn’t they burn the tree down when Katniss was up there? :)

#6372 Quote

Pim
    Keymaster
    #6414 Quote

Dennis
    Keymaster

Blitz – another movie with Jason Statham. This guy is pretty acitve! Blitz is way better than Killer elite, the previous Statham movie I watched. More (over the top) action, less story. Statham plays a cop with unorthodox methods (a killer-cop according to the tagline). The opening scene shows you what type of person he is. Brilliant! There’s a cop killer on the loose in South East London. That’s basically the whole story. :-)

#6424 Quote
    Profile photo of Onno
    Onno
    Participant

Loft – great movie, good plot-twists
    The Descendants – fantastic, also because the story was something else (mother in coma, abent fathers returns to take care of her and the 2 daughters). gotta love George Clooney
    Johnny English Reborn – exactly what you expect, which is great

#6425 Quote

Pim
    Keymaster

Did you see the Belgian Loft, or the Dutch one? I prefer the Belgian one.

The Descendants is still on my list.

Johnny English I wasn’t that into.

Mad Men’s new season has started. Episode 3 already. Anybody watching that?

#6431 Quote
    Profile photo of Onno
    Onno
    Participant

I saw the dutch one, stumbled upon it when searching for torrents :-)

Did not watch Mad Men yet.

#6435 Quote
    Profile photo of Daniël
    Daniël
    Participant

Eastbound & Down is really good this season, with the cannonball scene as an exception, that wasn’t explained at all and didn’t fit in the series at all.

Other than that I am only following mediocre shit like the Mentalist and Criminal Minds.

#6534 Quote

Dennis
    Keymaster

zombieland – second or third time I’ve seen this. Still enjoy it!
    Source code – I’ll not tell too much what this is about as it might just ruin your viewing experience. I will just say that somewhere in the middle it dragged on a bit too long. When that was finished it went from boring to enjoyable again.

#6583 Quote

Dennis
    Keymaster

finished season 3 of Deadwood. What a show! Wish there were more seasons… Especially because there’s enough open storylines at the end of season 3 to make another serie…

#6586 Quote

Pim
    Keymaster

Saw Allstars 2 on Monday. Not the best movie ever haha, but if you liked the series and the first movie you’ll like this one too.

#6601 Quote
    Just Killing Time
    Participant

I saw (500) Days of Summer for the second time this weekend. I kinda like offbeat quirky romcoms like this. So many smart and funny moments in this movie.

And of course Zooey Deschanel… *sigh*… <3

#6612 Quote

Pim
    Keymaster

Shiiiit. I just found out a second GI JOE movie is in the making. And while I hated the first one. I got pretty stoked after viewing the trailer for the second one. Either 2 is better or I need to recheck 1 to see if I still hate it :)

Awesome to see Joe Colton (the first Joe ever) being played by Bruce Willis. I thought the redhead was supposed to be Scarlett, but there’s no mention of her on IMDB, the same goes for the ninja (with the yellow clothing) that accompanies Snake when he’s climbing those mountains. I thought that was Helix (a Joe that was added in the IDW comics)… Anyway, I’m pretty shocked that a) there is going to be a second movie and b) that I actually like what I’m seeing. I even like the idea of the story.

Man. Snake Eyes is awesome ;)

#6638 Quote

Pim
    Keymaster

Watched some X-Files again. Almost done with season 8. Still loving it, but that’s no surprise since I liked the later seasons too when I saw them for the first time.

#6666 Quote

Dennis
    Keymaster

I thought the new characters were working really well in the last x-files seasons! Add Skinner en Scully and the show could go on! :-)

Yesterday I watched the first episode of Breaking bad. That serie about a chemistry teacher that decides to make chrystal meth. I loved it! Another serie to watch… :-)

#6667 Quote

Pim
    Keymaster

I totally agree about X-Files. I’m not looking forward to the final episode though. It sucked haha.

Breaking Bad: Not bad… but not as good as everybody is saying. I’m at season 2 at the moment and while I want to watch episode after episode of most series, totally not the case with this one. I might quit after this season.

#6698 Quote
    Just Killing Time
    Participant

Livide, the new effort by those two sick French dudes who brought you A l’Interieur (Inside). While still bloody and brutal at points, this is a totally different beast. Basically a haunted house movie, but with some really weird and disturbing twists. Especially the second half lacks any form of clear narative and plays out like a very creepy feverdream. Atmosphere and set design are awesome. This won’t be for everyone, but I think I liked this one better than A l’Interieur, allthough the finale lacks a bit of punch this time.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 1,028 total)

The topic ‘Movies / TV shows’ is closed to new replies.